Thursday, May 2, 2013

Making your Business a Reality: Learn how to do it



Being in the position of an investor is the easy part. As an investor there is only one thing that worries you, how are you going to get your money back?  Well, there is another thing: how can you duplicate or triplicate that money. By observing Robert Herjavec and Kevin O’Leary I learn interesting things each time. I analyze their questions, advices and decisions when making a deal with an entrepreneur. Sometimes we are so involved in our business and we believe and love it so much, that we do not sit down and analyze every detail there is. It is amazing to see how investors like Kevin and Robert make you reason about the product or service you are bringing to the table. Most of the time Robert will ask for equity on the company, but Kevin will ask for royalties or he will want to make a licensing deal for the product or service.


From those investors I have learned many valuable lessons that I intend to apply, such as:
  •   Know the value of your company: Be able to demonstrate to any investor why your company is worth “X” amount of money.
  • Analyze your margins: Know your costs and selling prices.
  • Profit: An investor will always ask you how much money are you making or how much money will you make in the future.
  •  Always pay yourself: If you do not pay yourself, the business is not working.
  • Have a distinctive advantage over your competitors: Be different in some way.
  •  Risks: Be prepared to show them the risks on the plan.
  •  Show them your passion towards the business.
  •   Preparation: Before pitching anything to an investor, know your business from head to toes.    
  •  Last but not least: Be Decisive.
Based on all the important things I have learned from Robert and Kevin now I analyze every little detail there is on my business plan.  For me the most important element on my business plan are the financials. How I am going to get the money to start my business and how I am going to increment that money? Also, by observing their perspectives I made some changes on the marketing plan and the valuation of the company.   


“Successful businesspeople retain a quality most others not only lack but often fail to comprehend, and that’s the unrelenting drive to convert a vision into reality. They are driven to realize this goal in a manner that appears to defy logic among others who lack this drive.”- Robert Herjavec

 My fellow entrepreneurs when presenting your business to investors I think the most important sections of your business plan are: the executive summary, the financial projections, the marketing plan and the description of the products/ services.

I want to leave you with this interesting quote: The biggest mistake entrepreneurs can make is trying to do everything themselves. They usually blow up when they try. I did an inventory of every deal I've ever done and it turned out that every single deal I made money on was a partnership, and every colossal failure, where I lost millions, was something I tried to do by myself.”- Kevin O’Leary



No comments:

Post a Comment