Thursday, March 7, 2013

Tips for Women Entering the TV/Film Industry




The world is changing and so is the TV/Film Industry.  For a long time men ruled the industry world.  Nowadays, women have achieved positions previously unimaginable within the TV/Film industry. 


Some examples of outstanding women
  • Anne Sweeney who is the Co-Chairman of Disney Media Networks and President of Disney/ABC Television Group.
  • Bonnie Hammer, the Chairman of NBC Universal Cable Entertainment and Cable Studios.
  • Kathleen Kennedy, the President of Lucasfilm.
  • Stacey Snider who is Partner, Co-Chairman and CEO of Dreamworks Studios.
  • Hannah Minghella, President of Production of Columbia Pictures.
These are only 5 of the many women who I can name within the TV/Film industry.


I remember when I told my family that I wanted to get into the Entertainment industry, some supported me and others criticized me, but I have demonstrated every single one of them that in this industry women can be equally successful as men.  Keep in mind that the road for women in this industry is not easy, but it is amazing to see how with hard work, passion and perseverance anything can be achieved.

A person once told me that when men saw a woman pursuing a career within the industry they automatically denominated her as a producer, I believe this way of thinking to be prejudice. Women have the same opportunities as men; a woman can be an editor, director, screenwriter, director of photography, stunt coordinator, cinematographer, etc.  Just sit down and take a look at all those women that I mentioned before or do a Google search and you will be surprised how many of us have incredible positions within the TV/Film industry.
                                                                                                 
“Remember the three P's of just about any film or television career -- stay passionate, persistent and patient and you will dramatically increase your odds of succeeding in the entertainment industry.” -Phil Breman

Thanks to many of the people I’ve met I discovered my passion within the Entertainment Industry. I would like to share some tips with you:
  • First, figure out what you really want to do in the TV/Film industry. There are many positions, analyze your skills and go for it.
  • Second, get out there and NETWORK! Meet people within the TV/Film industry; show them your disposition, passion and commitment for what you want in life.
  • Third, if you find a job within the industry, invest 150% of your effort. With this you will demonstrate your drive and your hard work will shine.
  • Fourth, RESPECT, be proficient and polite to everyone.  You never know who will be in front of you.

Keep this in mind: “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”– Confucius

Follow me on Twitter @nabilaarbaje.


4 comments:

  1. As a woman aspiring to be in this industry, I really enjoyed your post Nabila. I majored in broadcast journalism for my undergraduate degree. Our professors always told us about the lack of women in the field, and said the majority of women are either on-air or producers as you stated. However, you are right. We can do anything we want in this industry- and better than the men! When I was reading this I thought about Shonda Rhimes. She is a screenwriter, director and producer. Rhimes created the popular TV shows "Grey's Anatomy" and "Scandal". And, as you listed with the 5 women before there are so many women in the industry people have never heard of but are so aware of their work. It is also good to know women of other backgrounds are making moves in the industry too. This was a great and inspiring post Nabila! See you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post Nabilia! Thank you. With similar passions and aspirations as you, I am excited to enter into the Entertainment and Media industry very soon. Just recently, I've noticed on the Full Sail University campus more female students compared to when I started over a year ago. I know the boys are excited as the boy to girl ratio is rising. Yet I am merely excited to see more and more of us girls following our dreams. We got this! The industry needs us as does the younger generations. I recommend MIss Representation, a movie challenging the media's limiting portrayal of women and girls. (http://www.missrepresentation.org)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Admin

    As a lady seeking to be in this industry, I studied communication news coverage for my college degree. Our teachers consistently informed us regarding the absence of ladies in the field and said most of the ladies are either on-air or makers as you expressed. Be that as it may, you are correct. We can do anything we need in this industry-and superior to the men! At the point when I was perusing this, I considered Shonda Rhimes. She is a screenwriter, executive, and maker. Rhimes made the well-known TV shows "Dim's Anatomy" and "Outrage". What's more, as you recorded with the 5 ladies before there are such a significant number of ladies in the business individuals have never known about however are so mindful of their work. It is likewise acceptable to know ladies of different foundations are making moves in the business as well. This was an extraordinary and rousing post-Nabila! See you in class!

    Thanks & Regards
    vinita



    ReplyDelete